Salt and Sumac Calamari with Lime Mayonnaise Recipe. Sumac is a Middle Eastern spice with a sharp fruit flavour that works well in fish dishes, in the same way as lemon juice. Salt and Sumac Calamari with Lime Mayonnaise Recipe. Serves 6-8
- 4 squid tubes
- 1 egg
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 2 teaspoons flaky sea salt
- 1 litre flavourless cooking oil, eg canola
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, juice and finely grated zest
- Extra limes for squeezing
- Slice squid tubes into thin rings (about 5mm). Beat egg in a shallow bowl. In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, sumac and salt.
- Heat oil to medium-hot in a deep-fryer or heavy-based medium saucepan. Dip calamari rings into egg then toss them in the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Fry in small batches of 3-4 rings for a short time until just golden. Drain onpaper towels.
- Combine mayonnaise, lime juice and zest and season with pepper.
- Serve the hot calamari rings with the lime mayonnaise for dipping and lime wedges for squeezing.