How to quickly make your own ice cream at home hassle free. A great homemade ice cream recipe that is very quick and easy to make. Semifreddo means half-frozen in Italian. Although it is frozen, it does not freeze quite as hard as regular ice cream because of the egg whites and cream. These also give it a lovely smooth texture without churning.
- 300ml cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar (for yolks)
- 1/2 cup caster sugar (for whites)
- Flavouring of choice (see Cook’s notes)
Line a 1.5-litre mould with a sheet of plastic wrap, draping it over the edges so it can be used later to cover the ice cream. (Alternatively, use a container with a lid.) Lightly whip cream with icing sugar.
Using an electric beater, beat egg yolks with the first measure of caster sugar until thick and pale. Using a clean bowl and cleaned and dried beaters, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Add second measure of caster sugar and beat until thickened.
Gently fold together egg whites, cream and yolks. Start by folding a little cream into the egg white to lighten it and make mixing easier.
Add flavouring of choice then spoon mixture into a lined container, cover and freeze for at least 8 hours – overnight if possible. Makes about 1.5 litres.
• Semifreddo means half-frozen in Italian. Although it is frozen, it does not freeze quite as hard as regular ice cream because of the egg whites and cream. These also give it a lovely smooth texture without churning.
• It is easier to separate eggs taken straight from the refrigerator. Bring them to room temperature before beating.
• When flavouring semifreddo, remember that it should be sweeter and stronger than usual, as freezing will mask some of the flavour. If adding alcohol, add no more than 1 1/2 tablespoons; too much alcohol will prevent setting. As a rule of thumb, add 1 cup of flavouring such as lemon curd, fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, marshmallows, etc.
• There are endless ways to flavour semifreddo. For a simple vanilla ice cream, add the seeds of 1 vanilla pod and 1 tablespoon pure vanilla essence. Serve with summer berries and a crisp biscuit or try it drizzled with a shot of espresso and grated chocolate.
• White chocolate and berries are a great combination. Or try crushed meringues and grated lemon zest with lemon curd to make Lemon Meringue Semifreddo.
• Always lightly toast nuts before adding; this enhances their flavour and adds to the texture.
• If you feel like going all-out, cassata semifreddo is fun: add chopped dark chocolate, lightly toasted almonds and pistachios and some glace cherries to vanilla or chocolate-flavoured ice cream.
• For best texture when serving, transfer semifreddo from the freezer to the fridge 20-30 minutes before needed. Dipping the serving spoon or scoop into hot water will prevent the ice cream from sticking.
• Semifreddo will keep for up to 3 weeks, covered in the freezer.