Keep things simple on Christmas Day with these traditional favorites – it’s a delicious, fuss-free feast that won’t leave you hot and bothered in the kitchen. Roast Turkey With Sausages And Stuffing,. SERVES 8-10 TAKES I HR 5 MIN Plus 3 HR 10-30 MIN IN THE OVEN AND 30 MIN RESTING COSTS £3.30 PER SERVING.
- For The Stuffing:
8 large prunes, stoned.
450g (1lb) Cumberland sausages, skinned.
2 rashers dry-cured unsmoked streaky bacon, chopped.
1cooking apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped.
200g (7oz) cooked and peeled chestnuts, chopped.
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, halved.
1/2tsp grated nutmeg.
- For The Turkey:
5-6kg (11-13lb) turkey, thawed if frozen.
3tbsp goose fat or softened butter, plus extra for greasing.
Fresh sage leaves (optional).10-12 rashers streaky bacon.
1 onion and 1 carrot, chopped.
2 celery sticks, chopped.
8-12 shallots, unpeeled.
18 cocktail sausages.
- Start with the stuffing, Place the prunes in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for 20 min. Drain, chop, put in a larger bowl and add the brandy. Mix in the sausage meat, bacon, apple, chestnuts, zest and juice of half the lemon (keep the shell). Add the nutmeg and season.
- Rinse the bird inside and out and pat dry. Push half the stuffing into the neck and secure with skewers. Spoon the rest into a greased, shallow oven dish.
- Calculate the cooking time (see ‘Cook Your Turkey Safely’. right). Preheat the oven to 190’C/ 375’F/Gas 5. Put the turkey on aboard. breast-side up. Rub the second lemon half over it, squeezing out the juice, and push both lemon shells inside. Smear the breast and legs with goose fat or butter and sprinkle with sage leaves if liked. Stretch over the bacon rashers and tie the legs together with string.
- Place the bird in a roasting tin. Roast, basting occasionally with the cooking juices. After 1 hr. add the onion, carrot, celery and shallots, and cover with foil. Cook for a further 2 hr 10·30 min, checking after 1hr. Remove the shallots when they’re cooked.
- Insert a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh – the juices should run dear. If not. put back for 15 min, then test again. Place on a warm platter, cover with foil and allow to rest for 20·30 min before carving.
- Put the sausages Ina roasting tin and cook in the oven, with the dish of stuffing, for 25- 30min, until both are brown. Serve the turkey with the sausages and roasted shallots.
SERVES 8-10 TAKES 20 MIN PLUS 1 HR IN THE OVEN COSTS 3SP PER SERVING
2kg (41b 8oz) large roasting potatoes, such as Maris piper or Desiree, peeled and cut into chunks.
4tbsp goose fat.
- Boil the potatoes for 8 min until tender. Drain well.
- Preheat the oven to 200’C/ 400’F/Gas 6. Spoon the goose fat into a large, shallow roasting tin and warm in the oven.
- Return the potatoes to the saucepan, place over a medium heat and shake to rough up the edges. Tip into the roasting tin and coat well in fat. Roast for 30 min, then turn and cook for a further 30 min or until they’re golden brown and crispy.
Cooking the potatoes with the turkey? Give them an extra 30 min in the oven once the turkey’s done.